Today the Health Ministry confirmed that there are 220 new cases of Coronavirus, bringing the total in Chile to 1,142. This includes 43 patients in a critical condition and 22 who have recovered.
Another death was also reported today, bringing the total number of Chileans who have succumbed to Covid-19 to three. The latest fatality was an 83-year-old man from Concepción who had cancer.
The Health Minister, Jaime Mañalich, today announced new measures for preventing the spread of the virus and reinforced the following:
- 24-hour quarantine for Puerto Williams Island.
- Cordon sanitaire for Chiloé Island.
- The price for healthcare infrastructure rental is set at 0.2 UF per square meter per month. (A UF is an index-linked unit of account, currently worth around US$33).
- The price of a Coronavirus test is set at 25,000 pesos (around US$30) for private providers. The test is free for people who are members of the public health system (Fonasa).
- Classes will be suspended for the entire school system for an additional two weeks starting from Monday, March 30.
- The winter vacation has been brought forward and will now be from Monday, April 13 to Friday, April 24.
- The school year will be extended by two weeks in December.
- The flu vaccine calendar provided by each school will remain unchanged.
- The payment of subsidies for public and private subsidized schools will continue. In the case of paid private schools, there is an annual contract between each school and parent or guardian.
- Food distribution for the 1.5 million students who receive meals in their schools will continue.
- The Education Ministry has made the platform Aprendoenlinea.cl available for students and parents. The site includes guides and texts for distance learning and can be accessed free from mobile devices.
- The municipalities have committed to Ethical Shifts in schools to provide care for children who need it based on their family and home situation.
- In the case of higher education, in situ classes have been replaced with distance or remote learning delivered via digital platforms.